Zayouna Law Windsor Office
2679 Howard Ave
Windsor, ON N8X 3X2
Slip and Falls Due to Messy Sidewalks in Windsor
It doesn’t take a cold, harsh winter to create messy sidewalks in Windsor, Ontario. This year’s mild winter thaws followed by a day or two of freezing temperatures is creating havoc for pedestrians who are at risk for dangerous slips and falls from uncleared sidewalks. But slips and falls can happen throughout the year. You’d be surprised how common they are. If you’ve fallen and hurt yourself, you may be eligible for compensation for health care expenses and lost income.
Slips and Falls Are Everyone’s Responsibility
Did you know that property owners as well as municipalities are legally responsible to keep their property safe for visitors?
If you have fallen and injured yourself then you may be eligible for compensation.
Whether you’ve been injured or are being sued because someone else has been injured then you need to understand your rights and responsibilities.
Slip and fall accidents happen throughout the year, not just in winter. They are often caused by:
- Wet surfaces – perhaps someone has mopped a floor at a store and not put up a sign
- Icy sidewalks, driveways and walkways – homeowners are responsible for clearing sidewalks, driveways and walkways within a certain amount of time after a storm.
- Improperly maintained floors – tears and rips in rugs can cause falling hazards
- Poorly maintained sidewalks, walkways and driveways – uneven sidewalks, walkways and driveways can cause people to trip and fall
- Dim lighting – if it’s dark then people are more apt to trip, slip and fall.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, then you need to call a lawyer as soon as possible. You may be eligible for compensation under the occupiers’ liability insurance. The Occupier’s Liability Act has limitations on when a claim can be made from a slip and fall injury. Victims who wait too long to make a claim may no longer be eligible to receive compensation.
If you’ve fallen and have been injured, then you could receive compensation for:
- Lost wages due to work missed because of your injuries
- Health related expenses including physiotherapy and prescription medications
- Child care expenses
- Household services if you are unable to do housework
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
If you live in Windsor and have been hurt due to a slip or fall or are being sued due to a slip and fall case, then don’t wait. Contact the legal team at Zayouna Law immediately for a free initial consultation. Our firm’s fees are contingent on the results of your case. This means that we produce results or we do not get paid. Protecting your rights is risk-free.