Zayouna Law Ottawa Office
World Exchange Plaza
45 O’Connor St. Suite #1150
Ottawa, ON K1P 1A4
Cyclist Collisions in Ottawa Cause for Concern
With more Ottawa citizens choosing green alternatives like cycling for their morning commute the city is experiencing an increase in car-cyclist collisions. Congested roads, an increase in construction and a lack of lanes dedicated to cyclists are causing problems within the city. As a result, Ottawa legal experts are seeing an increase in personal injury claims. If you or a fellow cyclist has been injured, then waiting to seek legal advice could be the worst thing you do.
Why You Shouldn’t Wait to Call a Personal Injury Lawyer
Why is it so important to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as you are injured?
- Strict deadlines for insurance companies must be met in order to be eligible for compensation – some of these deadlines expire as soon as seven days after the date your accident.
- Your lawyer can help you preserve evidence that you may not know exists – evidence that can be crucial to your case
- Your lawyer will help you get the personal information of the people involved in the accident and the witnesses to the accident – information that is necessary for your claim
- If you fear you may be deemed “at fault” for the accident, then you should talk to your lawyer before your talk to your insurance company.
Ottawa cyclists who are involved in collisions and other accidents often suffer serious injuries, including:
- Road rash
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs or amputations
If you or a family member has been injured in a cyclist accident, then you may be eligible to receive compensation for:
- Wages lost from missed work
- Health related expenses including physiotherapy and prescription medications
- Child care expenses
- Household services if you are unable to do housework
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
What You Need to Help Your Lawyer File Your Claim
- Driver’s License
- Health Card
- S.I.N. Card
- Insurance Policy Information & Policy Number
- Motor Vehicle Report or Collision Report Number
- Pay stubs for 4 weeks prior to the accident, your latest Income Tax Return or
a copy of your ODSP or Ontario Works payment stubs
- Bring the defendant’s information including their:
- Driver’s License
- Driver’s Name & Address
- License Plate number
- Insurance company and policy number.
Calling a Personal Injury Lawyer is Risk Free
Personal injury lawyers often charge contingency fees, which is an agreement between a lawyer and client where the lawyer agrees not to collect a fee for their time and work unless the client wins the case. When the client wins, the lawyer receives a percentage of the total amount awarded. If the client loses the lawyer is not paid.
Contingency fees mean that calling a lawyer is risk free. It also means that you know your lawyer will do everything in their power to help you win your case and receive compensation for your injuries – because otherwise your lawyer doesn’t get paid. Don’t wait. Contact the legal team at Zayouna Law immediately for a free initial consultation. Our firm’s fees are contingent on the results of your legal case, so you can call us, risk-free.